[nova] Privsep is not giving us any security

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Apr 1 19:59:28 UTC 2019

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 5:06 AM Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:

[snip]

This matches my understanding of the intent behind privsep. Instead of
> trying to figure out how to filter out dangerous paths or whatever, you
> have the privileged code build the path out of sanitized data passed in.
> You still have to be careful about preventing injection attacks (say I
> pass in [uuid]/../../..), but at least you don't have to try to write a
> rootwrap filter for every possible path in every possible driver. The
> privileged driver code itself knows the correct path and won't allow
> anything else.

I don't think anyone disputes that theory.

The issue here is that the calling code in nova makes that very hard in
some cases. For example, nova.privsep.path.readfile exists because it is
called by nova.virt.disk.localfs.read_file [1], which takes a raw path to
read. That is in turn used by calling code to read at least two paths that
are generated in calling code. Now all of that is fixable, and that's a
relatively simple example, but it requires a call by call analysis that is
quite expensive to do and will cause a lot of code churn to fix.

No one is saying we shouldn't do it. However, the current privsep code took
the approach of an incremental improvement on top of what we already had,
instead of attempting to boil the ocean in a single patch series. The code
for nova.virt.disk.localfs.read_file used to call a method called
read_file_as_root that was just as bad as what we have now, but used
rootwrap to cat arbitrary files in the filesystem (git
sha f535e8bb9905b5632416135af5789704db6d2867 is the original transition).

My point is that we need to start somewhere, and proposing that we abandon
privsep entirely because its not immediately perfect isn't very helpful.

Michael

1: Well, there is one other caller, but you get the idea.