[nova] "future" specs and blueprints

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Mon Apr 1 01:54:12 UTC 2019

 ---- On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 14:45:02 -0500 Eric Fried <openstack at fried.cc> wrote ----
 > All-
 >
 > It seems like we don't have a great way of looking at a blueprint and
 > saying, "this looks like a good idea, and yes we want to do it, but
 > we're not going to be able to prioritize it for this release." Sometimes
 > we just leave those blueprints "unspecified" and their specs stay open
 > in limbo. And some blueprints we'll approve for the current series, and
 > merge the spec under $current_cycle/approved, but not really intend to
 > get the work completed. And at the end of the release, those pieces
 > muddy our completion stats. It would be nice if those stats reflected
 > only work we got done that we *intended* to get done.
 >
 > I'm not bringing this up just for the sake of making numbers pretty; it
 > would just be nice to have a crisp picture of the work slated for the
 > current release. And also a way for contributors to propose specs they
 > *don't* intend for the current series, but still want to start
 > discussing (I happen to know of at least one example of this for Train).
 > And also a way to keep track of work we know we want to do eventually,
 > just not now.
 >
 > === TL;DR >>>
 > So I'd like to propose that we set up a "future" series in Launchpad,
 > and a corresponding subdirectory in the specs repo.
 > === TL;DR <<<
 >
 > The process would be pretty much as you would expect, including (but not
 > limited to):
 >
 > - If we decide (e.g. at the PTG) that we like a spec that's proposed
 > under $current/approved, but won't have time for it in the current
 > series, we'll ask the author to move it to future/ and make sure the
 > History section includes "$current: proposed and approved for 'future'".
 > - If we decide in mid-release that we want to defer a blueprint, we can
 > propose a patch to move it from $current/approved to future/ (including
 > a redirect).

Thanks for bringing this up.

What will be the conditions or criteria of the above two scenarios?
- Review bandwidth?
- Author (contributors) wish not to complete the code in the cycle when he/she
is proposing the spec for? I mean do we have any scenario where spec author
says "please approve my spec in this cycle but I will not start the code in this cycle
so consider this a future spec"
- Technical scope etc ?
- Anything else ?

IMO, the first two scenarios should not be the reason to ask people to propose
your spec in future/ dir.  For other scenarios,  we should clearly say "NO: as of
now due to xyz reason so rejected or suggestion for repropose" etc.

future/ dir idea is good but main challenge it can face is "how many people going
to review the future/ items' because I feel everyone is so busy with their current
assignments.

 > - If a contributor wants to start work on a spec for a future release,
 > they can propose it directly to the future/ path.

+1, this is a nice idea to start the early discussion/feedback etc.

-gmann