[dev] [os-vif][nova][neutron][kuryr] os-vif serialisation, persistence and version compatiablity moving to v2.0

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 20:57:41 UTC 2018

Hi

I wanted to raise the topic of os-vif, its public api
what client are allowed to do and how that related to serialisation,
persistence of os-vif objects and version compatibility.

sorry this is a bit of a long mail so here is a TL;DR
and I have separated the mail into a background and future section.

- we are planning to refine our data model in os-vf for hardware offloads.
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/607610/
- we have been talking on and off about using os-vif on for nova neutron
  port binding and negotiation. to do that we will need to support
  serialisation in the future.
- there are some uses of os-vif in kuryr-kubenetes that are currently
  out of contract that we would like to correct as they may break in the future.
  https://github.com/openstack/kuryr-kubernetes/blob/master/kuryr_kubernetes/objects/vif.py
- what would we like to see in an os-vif 2.0

background
==========
Before I get to the topic of os-vif I wanted to take an aside to set
the basis of how I wanted to frame the topic.

So in C++ land, there is an international standard that defines the language
and the standard library for the C++ language. one of the stipulations of
that standard is that users of the standard library are allowed to construct
types defined by the standard library and you can call functions and methods
defined by the library. C++ has different semantics then python so the implication
of the statement you can call functions may not be apparent. In C++ it is technically
undefined behaviour to take the address of a standard library function you may only call it.
This allows the library author to implement it as a macro,lambda, function, function object
or any other callable. So, in other words, there is a clear delineation between the public
API and host that API is implemented.

Bringing this back to os-vif we also have a finite public API and seperate internal
implementation and I want to talk about internal changes
that may affect observable features from the client perspective. specifically
things that client can depend on and things they cannot.

first of all the public api of os-vif is defined by
https://github.com/openstack/os-vif/blob/master/os_vif/plugin.py

this module defined the base class of all plugins and is the only
class a plugin must inherit from and the only class defined in os-vif
that a plugin or client of os-vif may inherit from outside of the
exception classes defined in
https://github.com/openstack/os-vif/blob/master/os_vif/exception.py.

the second part of os-vif public api is a collection of data structures defined in
https://github.com/openstack/os-vif/tree/master/os_vif/objects
that clients are expected to _construct_ and plugins may _read_ from.

I highlight construct and read as that is the extent to which we currently promise
to clients or plugins. specifically today our version compatibility for objects
is partially enabled by our use of oslo versioned objects. since os-vif objects
are OVOs they have additional methods such as obj_to_primitive and obj_from_primitive
that exist but that are _not_ part of the public api.

Because serialisation (out side of serialisation via privsep) and persistence of os-vif
longer then the lifetime of a function call, is not today part of the supported use cases
of os-vif, that has enabled us to be less strict with version compatible then we would
have to be If we supported those features.

For example, we have in general added obj_make_compatible methods to objects when
we modify os-vif objects https://github.com/openstack/os-vif/blob/master/os_vif/objects/vif.py#L120-L142
but we have often discussed should we add these functions as there are no current uses.

future
======
That brings me to the topic of how os-vif is used in kuryr and how we would like to use it in neutron in
the future. Part of the reason we do not allow clients to extend VIF objects is to ensure that
os-vif plugins are not required on controller nodes and so we can control the set of vocabulary types that
are exchanged and version them. To help us move to passing os-vif object via the api
we need to remove the  out of tree vif types that in use in kuryr
and move them to os-vif.
https://github.com/openstack/kuryr-kubernetes/blob/master/kuryr_kubernetes/objects/vif.py#L47-L82
we had mentioned this 2 or 3 releases ago but the change that prompted this email
was https://github.com/openstack/kuryr-kubernetes/commit/7cc187806b42fee5ea660f86d33ad2f59b009754

i would like to know how kuryr-kubernetes is currently using the serialised os-vif objects.
 - are they being stored?
    - to disk
        - in a db
        - in etcd
 - are they bining sent to other services
 - are how are you serialising them.
    - obj_to_primitive
    - other
 - are you depending on obj_make_compatible
 - how can we help you not use them until we actually support this use case.

In the future, we will support serialising os-vif object but the topic of should we use
ovo has been raised. Initially, we had planned to serialise os-vif objects by
calling obj_to_primitive and then passing that to oslo.serialsiation json utils.

For python client, this makes it relatively trivial to serialise and deserialise the objects
when calling into neutron but it has a disadvantage in that the format of the payload crated
is specific to OpenStack, it is very verbose and it is not the most friendly format for human consumption.

The other options that have come up in the past few months have been
removing OVOs and validating with json schema or more recently replacing OVOs with protobufs.

now we won't be doing either in the stein cycle but we had considered flattening our data models
once https://review.openstack.org/#/c/607610/ is implemented and removing some unused filed as
part of a 2.0 release in preparation for future neutron integration in Train. To that end,
I would like to start the discussion about what we would want from a 2.0 release
if and when we create one, how we can better docuemnt and enformce our public api/ supported usage
patterens and are there any other users of os-vif outside of nova and kuryr today.

regards
sean.