[Openstack-operators] [nova] Would an api option to create an instance without powering on be useful?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 15:52:07 UTC 2018

On 11/30/2018 07:06 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
> I have a request to do $SUBJECT in relation to a V2V workflow. The use
> case here is conversion of a VM/Physical which was previously powered
> off. We want to move its data, but we don't want to be powering on
> stuff which wasn't previously on.
>
> This would involve an api change, and a hopefully very small change in
> drivers to support it. Technically I don't see it as an issue.
>
> However, is it a change we'd be willing to accept? Is there any good
> reason not to do this? Are there any less esoteric workflows which
> might use this feature?

It's similar to the node import use case from Ironic. I can see use
cases for registering pre-created instances (or creating batches of
instance records from previously non-OpenStack-managed workloads).

Lots of corner cases would need to be fleshed out, though. I know at
Oath we've got some pretty nasty code to register non-OpenStack
baremetal workloads with OpenStack and make sure they cannot be
scheduled and are not reimaged/cleaned by Ironic.

So, I'm generally supportive of the idea. But devil's in the details of
course. :)

Best,
-jay