[all][ptl][heat][senlin][magnum]New SIG for Autoscaling? plus, Session Summary: Autoscaling Integration, improvement, and feedback

Joseph Davis joseph.davis at suse.com
Thu Nov 29 19:30:00 UTC 2018

I agree with Duc and Witek that this communication could be really good.

One of the first items for a new SIG would be to define the relationship with the Self-Healing SIG.  The two SIGs have a lot in common but some important differences.  They can both use some of the same tools and data (Heat, Monasca, Senlin, Vitrage, etc) to achieve their purpose, but Self-Healing is about recovering a cloud when something goes wrong, while Autoscaling is about adjusting resources to avoid something going wrong.  Having a clear statement may help a new user or contributor understand where there interests lie and how they can be part of the group.

Writing some clear use cases will be really valuable for all the component teams to reference.  It may also be of value to identify a few reference architectures or configurations to illustrate how the use cases could be addressed.  I'm thinking of stories like "A cloud with Monasca and Senlin services has 20 active VMs. When Monasca recognizes the 20 VMs have hit 90% utilization each it raises an alarm and Senlin triggers the creation of 5 more VMs to meet expected loads."  Plus lots of details I just skipped over. :)

joseph