[all][docs] Making the Contributor Portal More Useful Summary

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:58:25 UTC 2018

Hello!

If you’re interested in starting with the etherpad from this forum session,
you can peruse that here[1].

The biggest part of the discussion here was that the page[2] is overloaded
and most users don’t make it down the page to other information they might
be looking for. It’s trying to be too many things at once and we need to
simplify the pages. The plan is to split into one focused on contribution
information and another focused more on general community info. If you have
opinions on how the split should go and weren’t in the forum session,
please let us know!

Another idea that was discussed was some sort of wizard/decision tree to
help people find the part of the portal they want based on 3ish questions:
Know what project you’re looking for? (would open to project section of
code and docs contribution type) Brand new to OpenStack? (would point to
contributor guide or where we need help) Or Interested in a particular
topic? (would open to project groups in code and docs contribution type)

The rest of discussion centered on smaller changes to the contribution
topics in the page. Adding tooltips, making certain things more obvious
(like the think to the actual contributor guide), making sure Docs & i18n
get included in the code & docs section since that pulls from the project
navigator.

If you’re interested in getting involved with this page, let me know! We
don’t have this work currently tracked in Launchpad or StoryBoard because
the page is maintained by the Foundation, but we are working to change that!

-Kendall (diablo_rojo)

[1]https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BER-Contrib-Portal
[2]https://www.openstack.org/community/