[openstack-dev] StarlingX gap analysis to converge with OpenStack master

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Nov 22 21:01:18 UTC 2018

hi
just following up form yesterday.
i just finished testing the pci numa policy feature
and i can confirm that the prefer policy which allow use of non
local pci devices does not work.

the test case was relitively simple
1 host with 2 numa nodes
1 pci device attach to numa node 0
and vcpu pin set configured to allow only numa node 1
in this case booting a vm with a passthrough alias and a passthrough alias fails.

[stack at cloud-3 devstack]$ openstack flavor show 42
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Field                      | Value                                               |
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| OS-FLV-DISABLED:disabled   | False                                               |
| OS-FLV-EXT-DATA:ephemeral  | 0                                                   |
| access_project_ids         | None                                                |
| disk                       | 0                                                   |
| id                         | 42                                                  |
| name                       | m1.nano                                             |
| os-flavor-access:is_public | True                                                |
| properties                 | hw:numa_nodes='1', pci_passthrough:alias='nic-pf:1' |
| ram                        | 64                                                  |
| rxtx_factor                | 1.0                                                 |
| swap                       |                                                     |
| vcpus                      | 1                                                   |

passthrough_whitelist = { "address": "0000:01:00.1" }
alias = { "vendor_id":"8086", "product_id":"10c9", "device_type":"type-PF", "name":"nic-pf", "numa_policy": "preferred"}

removeing the  hw:numa_nodes='1' extra spec allow the vm to boot as it nolonger has a numa topology.

the vm passes scheduling in both casess but when the vm has a virtual numa toplogy of 1 node
we fail in the resocue tracker on the compute node when claiming resouces for the instance.

i will submit a bug for this and repose the spec next week to track closing this gap.