[openstack-dev] [omni] Has the Platform9's hybrid multicloud project been abandoned?

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 20:19:26 UTC 2018

On 20/11/18 3:33 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 6:13 AM Blake Covarrubias <blake at platform9.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> Omni has not been abandoned by Platform9. We're still developing Omni internally, and are working to open source additional code as well as improve docs so that others may more easily test & contribute.
>
> It sounds like you're approaching this using an internal design
> process, so you may like to check:
>
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/opens.html

To be clear, it's not an official project so they're not _obliged_ to
follow the four opens. As long as the code is technically Open Source
then it's up to them whether they want to succeed or fail at building a
community.

> The most recent commit was over a year ago, so it's understandably
> confusing to have an apparently unmaintained project, hosted under the
> openstack github org, which doesn't actually follow our comunity
> design/development process?

Yes, this is a confusing aspect of getting rid of the sourceforge
namespace. Perhaps things will improve with the forthcoming OpenDev
branding.

>> With that said, I too would be interested in hearing how others are enabling, or looking to enable, hybrid cloud use cases with OpenStack. I'm not aware of any other projects with similar goals as Omni, however its possible I just haven't been looking in the right places.
>
> Having design discussions in the open, and some way for others in the
> community to understand the goals and roadmap of the project is really
> the first step in engaging folks for this sort of discussion IME.

+1000

cheers,
Zane.