[openstack-dev] [nova] Stein forum session notes

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:20:44 UTC 2018

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:31:59 -0500, Jay Pipes wrote:
> [...]
>> NeCTAR (dev ML) have both given feedback and asked that the
>> policy-driven idea for handling quota for down cells be avoided. Revived
>> the "propose counting quota in placement" spec to see if there's any way
>> forward here
>
> \o/
>
>> Getting users involved in the project
> burden for users to provide feedback, I'm wondering what the point is of
> having an open source community at all.
>
>> Community outreach when culture, time zones, and language differ
>> - Most discussion around how to synchronize real-time communication
>> considering different time zones
>> - Best to emphasize asynchronous communication. Discussion on ML and
>> gerrit reviews
>
> +1
>
>> - Helpful to create weekly meeting agenda in advance so contributors
>> from other time zones can add notes/response to discussion items
>
> +1, though I think it's also good to be able to say "look, nobody has
> brought up anything they'd like to discuss this week so let's not take
> time out of people's busy schedules if there's nothing to discuss".
>
>> WED
>> ---
>>
>> NFV/HPC pain points
>> ===================
>> Top issues for immediate action: NUMA-aware live migration (spec just
>> needs re-approval), improved scheduler logging (resurrect cfriesen's
>> patch and clean it up), distant third is SRIOV live migration
>>
>> BFV improvements
>> ================
>> - Went over the etherpad, no major objections to anything
>> - Agree: we should expose boot_index from the attachments API
>> - Unclear what to do about post-create delete_on_termination. Being able
>> to specify it for attach sounds reasonable, but is it enough for those
>> asking? Or would it end up serving no one?
>>
>> Better expose what we produce
>> =============================
>> - Project teams should propose patches to openstack/openstack-map to
>> improve their project pages
>> - Would be ideal if project pages included a longer paragraph explaining
>> the project, have a diagram, list SIGs/WGs related to the project, etc
>>
>> Blazar reservations to new resource types
>> - For nova compute hosts, reservations are done by putting reserved
>> hosts into "blazar" host aggregate and then a special scheduler filter
>> is used to exclude those hosts from scheduling. But how to extend that
>> concept to other projects?
>> - Note: the nova approach will change from scheduler filter => placement
>> request filter
>
> Didn't we agree in Denver to use a placement request filter that
> generated a forbidden aggregate request for this? I know Matt has had
> concerns about the proposed spec for forbidden aggregates not adequately
> explaining the Nova side configuration, but I was under the impression
> the general idea of using a forbidden aggregate placement request filter

Yes, I think that is what was meant by the mention that the nova
approach will change from the present scheduler filter (!blazar
aggregate) to a placement request filter (the forbidden aggregate),
going forward. I think the agreed idea you're talking about is what was
mentioned in the session.

> [...]
>> - Bug deputy weekly ML reporting could help
>> - Action: copy the generic portion of the nova bug triage wiki doc into
>> the contributor guide docs. The idea/hope being that easy-to-understand
>> instructions available to the wider community might increase the chances
>> of people outside of the project team being capable of triaging bugs, so
>> all of it doesn't fall on project teams
>> - Idea: should we remove the bug supervisor requirement from nova to
>> allow people who haven't joined the bug team to set Status and Importance?
>>
>> Current state of volume encryption
>> ==================================
>> - Feedback: public clouds can't offer encryption because keys are stored
>> in the cloud. Telcos are required to make sure admin can't access
>> secrets. Action: SecuStack has a PoC for E2E key transfer, mnaser to
>> help see what could be upstreamed
>> - Features needed: ability for users to provide keys or use customer
>> barbican or other key store. Thread:
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-November/136258.html
>>

>> Cross-technical leadership session (OpenStack, Kata, StarlingX, Airship,
>> Zuul)
>> - Took down the structure of how leadership positions work in each
>> project on the etherpad, look at differences
>> - StarlingX taking a new approach for upstreaming, New strategy: align
>> with master, analyze what they need, and address the gaps (as opposed to
>> pushing all the deltas up). Bug fixes still need to be brought forward,
>> that won't change
>>
>> Concurrency limits for service instance creation
>> - Looking for ways to test and detect changes in performance as a
>> community. Not straightforward because test hardware must stay
>> consistent in order to detect performance deltas, release to release.
>> Infra can't provide such an environment
>> - Idea: it could help to write up a doc per project with a list of the
>> usual tunables and basic info about how to use them
>>
>> Change of ownership of resources
>> ================================
>> - Ignore the network piece for now, it's the most complicated. Being
>> able to transfer everything else would solve 90% of City Network's use
>> cases
>> - Some ideas around having this be a keystone auth-based access granting
>> instead of an update of project/user, but if keystone could hand user A
>> a token for user B, that token would apply to all resources of user B's,
>> not just the ones desired for transfer
>
> Whatever happened with the os-chown project Dan started in Denver?
>
> https://github.com/kk7ds/oschown
>
>> Update on placement extraction from nova
>> - Upgrade step additions from integrated placement to extracted
>> placement in TripleO and OpenStackAnsible are being worked on now
>> - Reshaper patches for libvirt and xenapi drivers are up for review
>> - Lab test for vGPU upgrade and reshape + new schedule for libvirt
>> driver patch has been done already
>
> This is news to me. Can someone provide me a link to where I can get

So, I don't see a comment from Sylvain on the patch review itself, but I
know that he has run the lab test on real hardware. I recall this IRC
log, where he explained he ran the test before the "new schedule" patch
landed:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-nova/%23openstack-nova.2018-10-02.log.html#t2018-10-02T21:52:12

And here he confirms that a second test with reshape + new schedule
works with the patch either after "new schedule" landed or rebased on
top of: