[openstack-dev] [nova] Stein forum session notes

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Nov 19 15:06:56 UTC 2018

Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the highlights, Melanie. Appreciated. Some thoughts inline...
>
> On 11/19/2018 04:17 AM, melanie witt wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Here's some notes I took in forum sessions I attended -- feel free to
>> add notes on sessions I missed.
>>
>> Etherpad links: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum/Berlin2018
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -melanie
>>

>> TUE
>> ---
>
>> Getting users involved in the project
> burden for users to provide feedback, I'm wondering what the point is of
> having an open source community at all.

IIRC, this was specifically about the *first* step of engaging with
users and potential contributors. Throwing them into the deep end of the
pool isn't a very gentle way to introduce them to the community, so even
if we eventually need them to be able to join and participate on the
mailing list maybe that's not the best answer to questions like "how do
I get involved?"

>> WED
>> ---
>
>> Deletion of project and project resources
>> - What is wanted: a delete API per service that takes a project_id and
>> force deletes all resources owned by it with --dry-run component
>> - Challenge to work out the dependencies for the order of deletion of
>> all resources in all projects. Disable project, then delete things in
>> order of dependency
>> - Idea: turn os-purge into a REST API and each project implement a
>> plugin for it
>
> I don't see why a REST API would be needed. We could more easily
> implement the functionality by focusing on a plugin API for each service
> project and leaving it at that.

A REST API is easier to trigger from self-service operations like a user
closing their account. We talked about updating os-purge to use plugins
and building an OSC command that uses os-purge, and I see the
possibility of adding a REST API to a service like Adjutant in the
future. But, one step at a time.

--
Doug