[openstack-dev] [nova] Can we deprecate the server backup API please?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:36:40 UTC 2018

On 11/19/2018 08:15 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 11/18/2018 6:51 AM, Alex Xu wrote:
>> Sounds make sense to me, and then we needn't fix this strange
>> behaviour also https://review.openstack.org/#/c/409644/
>
> The same discussion was had in the spec for that change:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/511825/
>
> Ultimately it amounted to a big "meh, let's just not fix the bug but
> also no one really cares about deprecating the API either".

So we'll let the apathy of the past dictate the actions of the future.

> The only thing deprecating the API would do is signal that it probably
> shouldn't be used. We would still support it on older microversions. If
> all anyone cares about is signalling not to use the API then deprecation
> is probably fine, but I personally don't feel too strongly about it
> either way.

Deprecating these kinds of APIs would, as I mentioned in my original
post, signal that the Nova team is actually serious about cleaning up
the cruft and getting rid of the debt from years past.

And also that it is serious about Nova not being a dumping ground for
orchestration and out-of-scope APIs not related to a Compute API.

Best,
-jay