[all] We've combined the lists! Now what?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Nov 19 00:04:26 UTC 2018

As previously discussed[0], proposed[1] and subsequently
announced[2], the openstack, openstack-dev, openstack-sigs and
openstack-operators mailing lists are being replaced by this new
mailing list to which you've subscribed. As of now it's officially
open for posts from subscribers, and the old lists will be
configured to no longer accept posts starting on Monday December 3.
In the interim, posts to the old lists will also get copied to the
new list so it's safe to unsubscribe from them now and not miss any
messages. Here follows few brief notes on the nature of this new
list:

1. Like mentioned in the original announcement, there is an
etherpad[3] where we can brainstorm subject tags we want to use. I
think most of our needs are already covered there, but I'll give it
a little longer to collect more ideas before I attempt to document
them somewhere durable. We've already got these as a start: all,
ops, dev, $projectname, $signame-sig, $groupname-wg, release, goals,
uc, tc, ptl. Because we're interested in moving to Mailman 3 as our
listserv in the not-too-distant future and the upstream Mailman
maintainers decided to drop support for server-side topic filters,
you'll need to set up client-side mail filtering if you're only
interested in seeing messages for a subset of them.

2. As I've subscribed the new list to the old ones, cross-posts
between them may result in some message duplication, but at least we
won't have to endure it for long.

3. Remember there is no Subject header mangling on this list, so if
you want to perform client-side matching it's strongly recommended
you use the List-Id header to identify it. You'll likely also notice
there is no list footer appended to every message. These changes in
behavior from our previous lists are part of an effort to avoid
creating unnecessary DMARC/DKIM violations.

4. This list is starting out with 280 early subscribers, but I
expect a bunch more before the old lists are finally closed down in
3 weeks' time.

[0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/infra-ptg-denver-2018
[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-August/134046.html
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134911.html