[edge] Zero Touch Provisioning

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:39:48 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 9:35 AM Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/2018 09:33 AM, Curtis wrote:
> > No, it doesn't do inventory management. It's like a small base OS for
> > network switches, they come with it, boot up into it, and you can use it
> > to install other OSes. At least that's how it's used with the whitebox
> > switches I have. With ONIE it'd install the OS, then the initial OS
> > could register with some kind of inventory system.
>
> What about for non-network devices -- i.e. general compute hardware?
> After all, edge is more than just the network switches :)

I'm not sure; that's a good question. I was just using it as an example of
a piece of ZTP related technology that has been adopted by vendors who
build physical devices and include them by default, though of course, only
a subset of network switches. :)

If ONIE was a good example, and it could not be used for general compute
hardware, then perhaps something like it could be built using lessons
learned by ONIE. I dunno. :)

Thanks,
Curits

--