[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [all] Consistent policy names

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 18:54:01 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 1:03 PM Harry Rybacki <hrybacki at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 1:57 PM Morgan Fainberg
> <morgan.fainberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ideally I would like to see it in the form of least specific to most
> specific. But more importantly in a way that there is no additional
> delimiters between the service type and the resource. Finally, I do not
> like the change of plurality depending on action type.
> >
> > I propose we consider

> > Example for keystone (note, action names below are strictly examples I
> am fine with whatever form those actions take):
> > identity:projects:create
> > identity:projects:delete
> > identity:projects:list
> > identity:projects:get
> >
> > It keeps things simple and consistent when you're looking through
> overrides / defaults.
> > --Morgan
> +1 -- I think the ordering if `resource` comes before
> `action|subaction` will be more clean.

++

These are excellent points. I especially like being able to omit the
convention about plurality. Furthermore, I'd like to add that I think we
should make the resource singular (e.g., project instead or projects). For
example:

compute:server:list
compute:server:update
compute:server:create
compute:server:delete
compute:server:action:reboot
compute:server:action:confirm_resize (or confirm-resize)

Otherwise, someone might mistake compute:servers:get, as "list". This is
ultra-nick-picky, but something I thought of when seeing the usage of
"get_all" in policy names in favor of "list."

In summary, the new convention based on the most recent feedback should be:

Rules:

   - service-type is always defined in the service types authority
   - resources are always singular

Thanks to all for sticking through this tedious discussion. I appreciate it.