[openstack-dev] [python3-first] support in stable branches

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Sep 28 16:05:29 UTC 2018

Dariusz Krol <d.krol at samsung.com> writes:

> Hello,
>

> I'm specifically referring to branches mentioned in:
> https://github.com/openstack/goal-tools/blob/4125c31e74776a7dc6a15d2276ab51ff3e73cd16/goal_tools/python3_first/jobs.py#L54

I'm still not entirely sure what you're saying is happening that you do
not expect to have happening, but I'll take a guess.

The zuul migration portion of the goal work needs to move *all* of the
Zuul settings for a repo into the correct branch because after the
migration the job settings will no longer be in project-config at all
and so zuul won't know which jobs to run on the stable branches if we
haven't imported the settings.

The migration script tries to figure out which jobs apply to which
branches of each repo by looking at the branch specifier settings in
project-config, and then it creates an import patch for each branch with
the relevant jobs. Subsequent steps in the script change the
documentation and release notes jobs and then add new python 3.6 testing
jobs. Those steps only apply to the master branch.

So, if you have a patch importing a python 3 job setting to a stable
branch of a repo where you aren't expecting it (and it isn't supported),
that's most likely because project-config has no branch specifiers for
the job (meaning it should run on all branches). We did find several
cases where that was true because projects added jobs without branch
specifiers after the branches were created, and then back-ported no
patches to the stable branch. See
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-August/133594.html
for details.

Doug