[openstack-dev] [qa] [infra] [placement] tempest plugins virtualenv

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Fri Sep 28 15:02:07 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 03:31:10PM +0100, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2018, Matthew Treinish wrote:
>
> > > http://logs.openstack.org/14/601614/21/check/placement-tempest-gabbi/f44c185/job-output.txt.gz#_2018-09-28_11_13_25_798683
> >
> > Right above this line it shows that the gabbi-tempest plugin is installed in
> > the venv:
> >
> > http://logs.openstack.org/14/601614/21/check/placement-tempest-gabbi/f44c185/job-output.txt.gz#_2018-09-28_11_13_25_650661
>
> Ah, so it is, thanks. My grepping and visual-grepping failed
> because of the weird linebreaks. Le sigh.
>
> For curiosity: What's the processing that is making it be installed
> twice? I ask because I'm hoping to (eventually) trim this to as
> small and light as possible. And then even more eventually I hope to
> make it so that if a project chooses the right job and has a gabbits
> directory, they'll get run.

The plugin should only be installed once. From the logs here is the only
place the plugin is being installed in the venv:

http://logs.openstack.org/14/601614/21/check/placement-tempest-gabbi/f44c185/job-output.txt.gz#_2018-09-28_11_13_01_027151

The rest of the references are just tox printing out the packages installed in
the venv before running a command.

> The part that was confusing for me was that the virtual env that
> lib/tempest (from devstack) uses is not even mentioned in tempest's
> tox.ini, so is using its own directory as far as I could tell.

It should be, devstack should be using the venv-tempest tox job to do venv
prep (like installling the plugins) and run commands (like running
tempest list-plugins for the log). This tox env is defined here:

https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/master/tox.ini#L157-L162

It's sort of a hack, devstack is just using tox as venv manager for
setting up tempest. But, then we use tox in the runner (what used to be
devstack-gate) so this made sense.

-Matt Treinish