[openstack-dev] [goal][python3] week 7 update

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Sep 26 22:29:11 UTC 2018

Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> writes:

> == Things We Learned This Week ==
>
> When we updated the tox.ini settings for jobs like pep8 and release
> notes early in the Rocky session we only touched some of the official
> repositories. I'll be working on making a list of the ones we missed so
> we can update them by the end of Stein.

I see quite a few repositories with tox settings out of date (about 350,
see below). Given the volume, I'm going to prepare the patches and
propose them a few at a time over the next couple of weeks.

As background, each repo needs a patch (to master only) that looks like
[1]. It needs to set the "basepython" parameter in all of the relevant
tox environments to "python3" to force using python 3. It is most
important to set the docs, linters, pep8, releasenotes,
lower-constraints and venv environments, but we also wanted to include
bindep and cover if they are present.

The patches I prepare will update all of those environments.  We should
also include any other environments that run jobs, but teams may want to
duplicate some (and add the relevant jobs) rather than changing all of
the functional test jobs. As with the other functional job changes, I
will leave those up to the project teams.

As the commit message on [1] explains, we are using "python3" on
purpose:

* We do not want to specify a minor version number, because we do not
  want to have to update the file every time we upgrade python.

* We do not want to set the override once in testenv, because that
  breaks the more specific versions used in default environments like
  py35 and py36 (at least under older versions of tox).

In case you want to watch for them, all of the new patches will use "fix
tox python3 overrides" as the first line of the commit message (the
tracking tool looks for that string).

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/573355/