[openstack-dev] [goals][tc][ptl][uc] starting goal selection for T series

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 21:12:15 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 3:01 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> Would it be useful to have the SDK work in OSC as a prerequisite to the
> goal work? I would hate to have folks have to write a bunch of things
> twice.

I don't think this is necessary, once we have the auth and service
discovery/version negotiation plumbing in OSC properly new things can
be done in OSC without having to wait for conversion.  Any of the
existing client libs that can utilize an adapter form the SDK makes
this even simpler for conversion.

> Do we have any sort of list of which projects aren't currently being
> handled by OSC? If we could get some help building such a list, that
> would help us understand the scope of the work.

We have asked plugins to maintain their presence in the OSC docs [0],
there are three listed there as not having plugins but I wouldn't
consider that exhaustive.  We also ask them to list their resource
names in [1] to reserve the name to help prevent name collisions.

> As far as admin features, I think we've been hesitant to add those to
> OSC in the past, but I can see the value. I wonder if having them in a
> separate library makes sense? Or is it better to have commands in the
> tool that regular users can't access, and just report the permission
> error when they try to run the command?

The admin/non-admin distinction has not been a hard rule in most
places, we have plenty of admin commands in OSC.  At times we have
talked about pulling those out of the OSC repo into an admin plugin, I
haven't encouraged that as I am not convinced of the value enough to
put aside other things to do it.  Due to configurable policy it also
is not clear what to include and exclude, to me it is a better user
experience, and more interoperable between cloud deployments, to
correctly handle when admin/policy refuses to do something and let the
user sort it out as necessary.

[0] https://docs.openstack.org/python-openstackclient/latest/contributor/plugins.html#adoption
[1] https://docs.openstack.org/python-openstackclient/latest/cli/commands.html#plugin-objects

dt