[openstack-dev] [cinder][glance][ironic][keystone][neutron][nova][edge] PTG summary on edge discussions

James Penick jpenick at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:35:05 UTC 2018

Hey Colleen,

>This sounds like it is based on the customizations done at Oath, which to
my recollection did not use the actual federation implementation in
keystone due to its reliance on Athenz (I think?) as an identity manager.
Something similar can be accomplished in standard keystone with the mapping
API in keystone which can cause dynamic generation of a shadow user,
project and role assignments.

You're correct, this was more about the general design of asymmetrical
token based authentication rather that our exact implementation with
Athenz. We didn't use the shadow users because Athenz authentication in our
implementation is done via an 'ntoken'  which is Athenz' older method for
identification, so it was it more straightforward for us to resurrect the
PKI driver. The new way is via mTLS, where the user can identify themselves
via a client cert. I imagine we'll need to move our implementation to use
shadow users as a part of that change.

>We have historically pushed back hard against allowing setting a project
ID via the API, though I can see predictable-but-not-settable as less
problematic.

Yup, predictable-but-not-settable is what we need. Basically as long as the
uuid is a hash of the string, we're good. I definitely don't want to be
able to set a user ID or project ID via API, because of the security and
operability problems that could arise. In my mind this would just be a
config setting.

>One of the use cases from the past was being able to use the same token in
different regions, which is problematic from a security perspective. Is
that that idea here? Or could someone provide more details on why this is
needed?

Well, sorta. As far as we're concerned you can get authenticate to keystone
in each region independently using your credential from the IdP. Our use
cases are more about simplifying federation of other systems, like Glance.
Say I create an image and a member list for that image. I'd like to be able
to copy that image *and* all of its metadata straight across to another
cluster and have things Just Work without needing to look up and resolve
the new UUIDs on the new cluster.

However, for deployers who wish to use Keystone as their IdP, then in that
case they'll need to use that keystone credential to establish a credential
in the keystone cluster in that region.

-James