[openstack-dev] [goals][upgrade-checkers] Week R-30 update

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Fri Sep 21 17:10:06 UTC 2018

On 09/15/2018 10:30 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Just a couple of updates this week.
>
> * I have assigned PTLs (for projects that have PTLs [1]) to their
> respective tasks in StoryBoard [2]. If someone else on your team is
> planning on working on the pre-upgrade check goal then please just
> reassign ownership of the task.
>
> * I have started going through some project release notes looking for
> upgrade impacts and leaving notes in the task assigned per project.
> There were some questions at the PTG about what some projects could add
> for pre-upgrade checks so check your task to see if I've left any
> thoughts. I have not gone through all projects yet.
>
> * Ben Nemec has extracted the common upgrade check CLI framework into a
> library [3] (thanks Ben!) and is working on getting that imported into
> Gerrit. It would be great if projects that start working on the goal can
> try using that library and provide feedback.

The library has been imported into Gerrit, so people can start consuming
it from there. Note that there are quite a few pending patches to it
already that we can't merge until the governance change goes in and I
can populate the reviewer list.

I also pushed a patch to demonstrate how it would be integrated with the
existing Nova code[1] and a patch to Designate to demonstrate how a
completely new set of checks might be implemented[2]. The Designate
check required some changes in the library config handling, but I think
the patches proposed should work well now. I need to write some unit
tests for it, but in my manual testing it has behaved as expected.

As Matt said, any feedback is welcome. I suggest working off the end of
the series that includes [3] as there are some significant api changes
there.

-Ben

1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/603499
2: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/604430