[openstack-dev] [release] Release countdown for week R-28 and R-27, September 24 - October 5

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Sep 20 17:04:34 UTC 2018

Welcome to the release countdown email. I am going to keep these biweekly for
now since there are not as many critical deadlines, but please let me know if
any more frequent or additional updates would be useful.

Development Focus
-----------------

Team focus should be on spec approval and implementation of priority features.

Action Required
--------------

Matt Riedemann started a thread about the Ocata release entering the new
"extended maintenance" phase:

    http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134810.html

We are actually past the published date for that transition, but this is the
first time we've done this, so I think we're all working through the process.
Matt raises the good point that any teams that have merged patches for
stable/ocata that would like to have those officially available should do a
final stable release off of stable/ocata.

After that, as part of extended maintenance, teams can choose how they handle
further stable backports, but there will no longer we official releases from
stable/ocata.

General Information
-------------------

Please be aware of the project specific deadlines that vary slightly from the
overall release schedule [1].

Teams should now be making progress towards the cycle goals [2]. Please
prioritize reviews for these appropriately.

[1] https://releases.openstack.org/stein/schedule.html
[2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/index.html

If your project has a library that is still a 0.x release, start thinking about
when it will be appropriate to do a 1.0 version. The version number does signal
the state, real or perceived, of the library, so we strongly encourage going to
a full major version once things are in a good and usable state.

PTLs and/or release liaisons - we are still a little ways out from the first
milestone, but a reminder that we would love to have you around during our
weekly meeting [3]. It would also be very helpful if you would linger in the
#openstack-release channel during deadline weeks.

[3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Release_Team_Meeting

Upcoming Deadlines & Dates

Stein-1 milestone: October 25  (R-24 week)
Forum at OpenStack Summit in Berlin: November 13-15

--
Sean McGinnis (smcginnis)