[openstack-dev] [placement] [infra] [qa] tuning some zuul jobs from "it works" to "proper"

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Sep 20 02:11:12 UTC 2018

 ---- On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 23:29:46 +0900 Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote ----
 > On 09/19/2018 09:23 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
 > > On 09/19/2018 08:25 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
 > >>
 > >> I have a patch in progress to add some simple integration tests to
 > >> placement:
 > >>
 > >>      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/601614/
 > >>
 > >> They use https://github.com/cdent/gabbi-tempest . The idea is that
 > >> the method for adding more tests is to simply add more yaml in
 > >> gate/gabbits, without needing to worry about adding to or think
 > >> about tempest.
 > >>
 > >> What I have at that patch works; there are two yaml files, one of
 > >> which goes through the process of confirming the existence of a
 > >> resource provider and inventory, booting a server, seeing a change
 > >> in allocations, resizing the server, seeing a change in allocations.
 > >>
 > >> But this is kludgy in a variety of ways and I'm hoping to get some
 > >> help or pointers to the right way. I'm posting here instead of
 > >> asking in IRC as I assume other people confront these same
 > >> confusions. The issues:
 > >>
 > >> * The associated playbooks are cargo-culted from stuff labelled
 > >>    "legacy" that I was able to find in nova's jobs. I get the
 > >>    impression that these are more verbose and duplicative than they
 > >>    need to be and are not aligned with modern zuul v3 coolness.
 > >
 > > Yes. Your life will be much better if you do not make more legacy jobs.
 > > They are brittle and hard to work with.
 > >
 > > New jobs should either use the devstack base job, the devstack-tempest
 > > base job or the devstack-tox-functional base job - depending on what
 > > things are intended.

+1. All the base job from Tempest and Devstack (except grenade which is in progress) are available to use as base for legacy jobs. Using devstack-temepst in your patch is right things. In addition, you need to mention the tox_envlist as all-plugins to make tempest_test_regex work. I commented on review.

 > > You might want to check out:
 > >
 > > https://docs.openstack.org/devstack/latest/zuul_ci_jobs_migration.html
 > >
 > > also, cmurphy has been working on updating some of keystone's legacy
 > > jobs recently:
 > >
 > > https://review.openstack.org/602452
 > >
 > > which might also be a source for copying from.
 > >
 > >> * It takes an age for the underlying devstack to build, I can
 > >>    presumably save some time by installing fewer services, and making
 > >>    it obvious how to add more when more are required. What's the
 > >>    canonical way to do this? Mess with {enable,disable}_service, cook
 > >>    the ENABLED_SERVICES var, do something with required_projects?
 > >
 > > http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstacksdk/tree/.zuul.yaml#n190
 > >
 > > Has an example of disabling services, of adding a devstack plugin, and
 > > of adding some lines to localrc.
 > >

 > > http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstacksdk/tree/.zuul.yaml#n117
 > >
 > > Has some more complex config bits in it.
 > >
 > > In your case, I believe you want to have parent: devstack-tempest
 > > instead of parent: devstack-tox-functional
 > >

 > >> * This patch, and the one that follows it [1] dynamically install
 > >>    stuff from pypi in the post test hooks, simply because that was
 > >>    the quick and dirty way to get those libs in the environment.
 > >>    What's the clean and proper way? gabbi-tempest itself needs to be
 > >>    in the tempest virtualenv.
 > >
 > > This I don't have an answer for. I'm guessing this is something one
 > > could do with a tempest plugin?
 >
 > K. This:
 >
 > http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron-tempest-plugin/tree/.zuul.yaml#n184

Yeah, You can install that via TEMPEST_PLUGINS var. All plugins specified in TEMPEST_PLUGINS var, will be installed into the tempest venv[1]. You can mention the gabbi-tempest same way.

[1] https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/6f4b7fc99c4029d25a924bcad968089d89e9d296/lib/tempest#L663

-gmann