[openstack-dev] [nova] When can/should we change additionalProperties=False in GET /servers(/detail)?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:26:30 UTC 2018

On 9/17/2018 9:41 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
>   ---- On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 09:33:30 +0900 Alex Xu<soulxu at gmail.com>  wrote ----
>   > That only means after 599276 we only have servers API and os-instance-action API stopped accepting the undefined query parameter.
>   > What I'm thinking about is checking all the APIs, add json-query-param checking with additionalProperties=True if the API don't have yet. And using another microversion set additionalProperties to False, then the whole Nova API become consistent.
>
> I too vote for doing it for all other API together. Restricting the unknown query or request param are very useful for API consistency. Item#1 in this etherpadhttps://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-api-cleanup
>
> If you would like, i can propose a quick spec for that and positive response to do all together then we skip to do that in 599276 otherwise do it for GET servers in 599276.
>
> -gmann

I don't care too much about changing all of the other
additionalProperties=False in a single microversion given we're already
kind of inconsistent with this in a few APIs. Consistency is ideal, but
I thought we'd be lumping in other cleanups from the etherpad into the
same microversion/spec which will likely slow it down during spec
review. For example, I'd really like to get rid of the weird server
response field prefixes like "OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:". Would we put those into
the same mass cleanup microversion / spec or split them into individual
microversions? I'd prefer not to see an explosion of microversions for
cleaning up oddities in the API, but I could see how doing them all in a
single microversion could be complicated.

Matt