[openstack-dev] [election][tc]Question for candidates about global reachout

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Sep 18 15:32:10 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Zhipeng Huang's message of 2018-09-14 13:52:50 -0600:
> This is a joint question from mnaser and me :)
>
> For the candidates who are running for tc seats, please reply to this email
> to indicate if you are open to use certain social media app in certain
> region (like Wechat in China, Line in Japan, etc.), in order to reach out
> to the OpenStack developers in that region and help them to connect to the
> upstream community as well as answering questions or other activities that
> will help. (sorry for the long sentence ... )
>
> Rico and I already sign up for Wechat communication for sure :)
>
> --
> Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

[I replied on the governance resolution
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/602697/, but I will copy my reply
here since not everyone is following the comments there.]

While I support the end result this resolution is trying to achieve,
I don't think a TC resolution is the right way to go about it. The
existing governance resolutions are primarily used to document
decisions where there was a disagreement or solutions to issues
that need to be formally addressed. I don't think either criteria
applies in this case.

No member of our community needs permission to use social media,
so we don't need to document an opinion about that.

Formally encouraging members of our community, whether they are on
the TC or not, to reach out to other members also feels unnecessary.
We proudly declare our community to be open to anyone who wants to
participate in https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/opens.html
and many members of our community do engage in the sort of outreach
that is described in this resolution.

If there is a particular area of the community not being heard,
then we should work to understand why that is happening. If the
cause is really that too few of the TC members are signed up for
the right social media tools, then I think we have a much more
fundamental issue to address in the expectations of the community
and how the TC communicates as a group.

I believe a better approach to achieve the outcome this resolution
is trying to implement would be to organize some of the folks who
have already indicated that they are willing to help with outreach
and to work together to bring anyone who wants to participate in
the community into the existing communication channels (especially
the mailing list), so that we can all collaborate there together.
There was support for an approach like that in the room during the
meeting last week.

Doug