[openstack-dev] [election][tc]Question for candidates about global reachout

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 13:56:50 UTC 2018

Le lun. 17 sept. 2018 à 15:32, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> a écrit :

> On 2018-09-16 14:14:41 +0200 (+0200), Jean-philippe Evrard wrote:
> [...]
> > - What is the problem joining Wechat will solve (keeping in mind the
> > language barrier)?
>
> As I understand it, the suggestion is that mere presence of project
> leadership in venues where this emerging subset of our community
> gathers would provide a strong signal that we support them and care
> about their experience with the software.
>
> > - Isn't this problem already solved for other languages with
> > existing initiatives like local ambassadors and i18n team? Why
> > aren't these relevant?
> [...]
>
> It seems like there are at least couple of factors at play here:
> first the significant number of users and contributors within
> mainland China compared to other regions (analysis suggests there
> were nearly as many contributors to the Rocky release from China as
> the USA), but second there may be facets of Chinese culture which
> make this sort of demonstrative presence a much stronger signal than
> it would be in other cultures.
>
> > - Pardon my ignorance here, what is the problem with email? (I
> > understand some chat systems might be blocked, I thought emails
> > would be fine, and the lowest common denominator).
>
> Someone in the TC room (forgive me, I don't recall who now, maybe
> Rico?) asserted that Chinese contributors generally only read the
> first message in any given thread (perhaps just looking for possible
> announcements?) and that if they _do_ attempt to read through some
> of the longer threads they don't participate in them because the
> discussion is presumed to be over and decisions final by the time
> they "reach the end" (I guess not realizing that it's perfectly fine
> to reply to a month-old discussion and try to help alter course on
> things if you have an actual concern?).

While I understand the technical issues that could be due using IRC in
China, I still don't get why opening the gates and saying WeChat being yet
another official channel would prevent our community from fragmenting.

Truly the usage of IRC is certainly questionable, but if we have multiple
ways to discuss, I just doubt we could prevent us to silo ourselves between
our personal usages.
Either we consider the new channels as being only for southbound
communication, or we envisage the possibility, as a community, to migrate
from IRC to elsewhere (I'm particulary not fan of the latter so I would
challenge this but I can understand the reasons)

-Sylvain