[openstack-dev] [goals][python3] mixed versions?

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at calavera.ca
Fri Sep 14 00:09:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 7:41 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Mathieu Gagné's message of 2018-09-13 14:12:56 -0400:
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 2:04 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > IIRC, we also talked about not supporting multiple versions of
>> > python on a given node, so all of the services on a node would need
>> > to be upgraded together.
>> >

>> Will services support both versions at some point for the same
>> OpenStack release? Or is it already the case?
>>
>> I would like to avoid having to upgrade Nova, Neutron and Ceilometer
>> at the same time since all end up running on a compute node and
>> sharing the same python version.
>
> We need to differentiate between what the upstream community supports
> and what distros support. In the meeting in Vancouver, we said that
> the community would support upgrading all of the services on a
> single node together. Distros may choose to support more complex
> configurations if they choose, and I'm sure patches related to any
> bugs would be welcome.

We maintain and build our own packages with virtualenv. We aren't
bound to distribution packages.

> But I don't think we can ask the community
> to support the infinite number of variations that would occur if
> we said we would test upgrading some services independently of
> others (unless I'm mistaken, we don't even do that for services
> all using the same version of python 2, today).

This contradicts what I heard in fishbowl sessions from core reviewers
and read on IRC.
People were under the false impression that you need to upgrade
OpenStack in lock steps when in fact, it has never been the case.
You should be able to upgrade services individually.

Has it changed since?

--
Mathieu