[openstack-dev] [Openstack-sigs] Open letter/request to TC candidates (and existing elected officials)

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 23:50:30 UTC 2018

On 9/12/2018 5:13 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Sure, and I'm saying that instead I think the influence of TC
> members_can_  be more valuable in finding and helping additional
> people to do these things rather than doing it all themselves, and
> it's not just about the limited number of available hours in the day
> for one person versus many. The successes goal champions experience,
> the connections they make and the elevated reputation they gain
> throughout the community during the process of these efforts builds
> new leaders for us all.

Again, I'm not saying TC members should be doing all of the work
themselves. That's not realistic, especially when critical parts of any
major effort are going to involve developers from projects on which none
of the TC members are active contributors (e.g. nova). I want to see TC
members herd cats, for lack of a better analogy, and help out
technically (with code) where possible.

Given the repeated mention of how the "help wanted" list continues to
not draw in contributors, I think the recruiting role of the TC should
take a back seat to actually stepping in and helping work on those items
directly. For example, Sean McGinnis is taking an active role in the
operators guide and other related docs that continue to be discussed at
every face to face event since those docs were dropped from
openstack-manuals (in Pike).

I think it's fair to say that the people generally elected to the TC are
those most visible in the community (it's a popularity contest) and
those people are generally the most visible because they have the luxury
of working upstream the majority of their time. As such, it's their duty
to oversee and spend time working on the hard cross-project technical
deliverables that operators and users are asking for, rather than think
of an infinite number of ways to try and draw *others* to help work on
those gaps. As I think it's the role of a PTL within a given project to
have a finger on the pulse of the technical priorities of that project
and manage the developers involved (of which the PTL certainly may be
one), it's the role of the TC to do the same across openstack as a
whole. If a PTL doesn't have the time or willingness to do that within
their project, they shouldn't be the PTL. The same goes for TC members IMO.

Matt