[openstack-dev] [upgrade] request for pre-upgrade check for db purge

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 22:27:12 UTC 2018

On 9/11/2018 9:01 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
> I dunno, adding something to nova.conf that is only used for nova-status
> like that seems kinda weird to me. It's just a warning/informational
> sort of thing so it just doesn't seem worth the complication to me.

It doesn't seem complicated to me, I'm not sure why the config is weird,
but maybe just because it's config-driven CLI behavior?

> Moving it to an age thing set at one year seems okay, and better than
> making the absolute limit more configurable.
>
> Any reason why this wouldn't just be a command line flag to status if
> people want it to behave in a specific way from a specific tool?

I always think of the pre-upgrade checks as release-specific and we
could drop the old ones at some point, so that's why I wasn't thinking
about adding check-specific options to the command - but since we also
say it's OK to run "nova-status upgrade check" to verify a green
install, it's probably good to leave the old checks in place, i.e.
you're likely always going to want those cells v2 and placement checks
we added in ocata even long after ocata EOL.

Matt