[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Plan management refactoring for Life cycle

mathieu bultel mbultel at redhat.com
Tue Sep 11 13:15:53 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 09/11/2018 12:08 PM, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:
> On 9/11/18 4:43 AM, James Slagle wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM Jiri Tomasek <jtomasek at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Mathieu,
>>>
>>> Thanks for bringing up the topic. There are several efforts
>>> currently in progress which should lead to solving the problems
>>> you're describing. We are working on introducing CLI commands which
>>> would perform the deployment configuration operations on deployment
>>> plan in Swift. This is a main step to finally reach CLI and GUI
>>> compatibility/interoperability. CLI will perform actions to
>>> configure deployment (roles, networks, environments selection,
>>> parameters setting etc.) by calling Mistral workflows which store
>>> the information in deployment plan in Swift. The result is that all
>>> the information which define the deployment are stored in central
>>> place - deployment plan in Swift and the deploy command is turned
>>> into simple 'openstack overcloud <planName> deploy'. Deployment plan
>>> then has plan-environment.yaml which has the list of environments
>>> used and customized parameter values, roles-data.yaml which carry
>>> roles definition and network-data.yaml which carry networks
>>> definition. The information stored in these files (and deployment
>>> plan in general) can then be treated as source of information about
>>> deployment. The deployment can then be easily exported and reliably
>>> replicated.
>>>
>>> Here is the document which we put together to identify missing
>>> pieces between GUI,CLI and Mistral TripleO API. We'll use this to
>>> discuss the topic at PTG this week and define work needed to be done
>>> to achieve the complete interoperability. [1]
>>>
>>> Also there is a pending patch from Steven Hardy which aims to remove
>>> CLI specific environments merging which should fix the problem with
>>> tracking of the environments used with CLI deployment. [2]

Thank you Jirka to point me to this work.
I will be happy to help in those efforts, at least for the lice cycle
part (Update/Upgrade/Scale) of this big feature. I can't attend to the
PTG this week unfortunately, but if you can point me out the etherpad
with the resume of the session it would be very nice.

I think the review from Steven aim to solve more or less the same issue
than my current review. I will go through it in details, and AFAIS the
last changes are old.

>>> [1]
>>> https://gist.github.com/jtomasek/8c2ae6118be0823784cdafebd9c0edac
>>> (Apologies for inconvenient format, I'll try to update this to
>>> better/editable format. Original doc:
>>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERfx2rnPq6VjkJ62JlA_E6jFuHt9vVl3j95dg6-mZBM/edit?usp=sharing)
>>> [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/448209/
>>

>> Related to this work, I'd like to see us store the plan in git instead
>> of swift. I think this would reduce some of the complexity around plan
>> management, and move us closer to a simpler undercloud architecture.
>> It would be nice to see each change to the plan represented as new git
>> commit, so we can even see the changes to the plan as roles, networks,
>> services, etc, are selected.
>>
>> I also think git would provide a familiar experience for both
>> developers and operators who are already accustomed to devops type
>> workflows. I think we could make these changes without it impact the
>> API too much or, hopefully, at all.
>
> +42!
> See also the related RFE (drafted only) [0]
>
> [0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1782139

Thanks James,
Same here +1 (or 42 :))