[openstack-dev] [election][tc] announcing candidacy

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:32:00 UTC 2018

On 9/4/2018 7:30 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> I am announcing my candidacy for a position on the OpenStack
> Technical Committee.
>
> I started contributing to OpenStack in 2012, not long after joining
> Dreamhost, and I am currently employed by Red Hat to work on OpenStack
> with a focus on long-term project concerns. I have served on the
> Technical Committee for the last five years, including as Chair during
> the last term. I have also been PTL of the Oslo and Release Management
> teams at different points in the past.
>
> I have spent most of my time in all of those roles over the last few
> years making incremental improvements in our ability to collaborate
> while building OpenStack, including initiatives such as leading the
> current community goal to run CI jobs under Python 3 by default [1];
> coordinating last year's documentation migration; and updating our
> dependency management system to make it easier for projects to run
> stand-alone.
>
> During my time serving as TC Chair, I have tried to update the way the
> group works with the community. We started by performing a "health
> check" for all of our project teams [2], as a way to spot potential
> issues teams are experiencing that we can help with, and to encourage TC
> members to learn more about teams they may not interact with on a
> daily basis. We will be reviewing the results at the PTG [3], and
> continuing to refine that process.
>
> I have also had a few opportunities this year to share our governance
> structure with other communities [4][5]. It's exciting to be able to
> talk to them about how the ideals and principles that hold our
> community together can also apply to their projects.
>
> The OpenStack community continues to be the most welcoming group I
> have interacted with in more than 25 years of contributing to open
> source projects. I look forward to another opportunity to serve the
> project through the Technical Committee over the coming year.
>
> Thank you,
> Doug
>
> Candidacy submission: https://review.openstack.org/599582
> Review history: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/reviewer:2472,n,z
> Commit history: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/owner:2472,n,z
> Foundation Profile:
> http://www.openstack.org/community/members/profile/359
> Freenode: dhellmann
> Website: https://doughellmann.com
>
> [1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html
> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_health_tracker
> [3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-stein-ptg
> [4] https://doughellmann.com/blog/2018/08/21/planting-acorns/
> [5] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-8002/

I have generally been very cynical of repeat TC members, mostly because
I don't know what they actually get done, but this candidacy email is a
very nice example of specific issues that you've worked on and I really
appreciate you being able to point out the things you've worked on while
being on the TC. Thanks for pushing on this stuff Doug.

Matt