[openstack-dev] [heat][glance] Heat image resource support issue

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 03:51:10 UTC 2018

Since we all use devstack as the test environment, I can see it's required
that we allow this scenario works for devstack in the gateway. Do you got
any plan to fix [1] in short future?:)

[1]  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/545483/

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 11:00 AM Brian Rosmaita <rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 11:12 AM Rico Lin <rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 8:47 PM Brian Rosmaita <rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Since Queens, Glance has had a 'web-download' import method that takes a
>>> URL [0].  It's enabled by default, but operators do have the ability to
>>> turn it off.  (There's an API call to see what methods are enabled in a
>>> particular cloud.)  Operators also have the ability to restrict what URLs
>>> are acceptable [1], but that's probably a good thing.
>>>
>>> In short, Glance does have the ability to do what you need since Queens,
>>> but there's no guarantee that it will be available in all clouds and for
>>> all URLs.  If you foresee that as a problem, it would be a good idea to get
>>> together with the Glance team at the PTG to discuss this issue.  Please add
>>> it as a topic to the Glance PTG planning etherpad [3] as soon as you can.
>>>
>> Cool! Thank Brian.
>> Sounds like something we can use, just one small question in my mind. In
>> order to use `web-download` in image resource, we need to create an empty
>> image than use import to upload that imge. I have try that scenrio by
>> myself now (I'm not really diving into detail yet) by:
>> 1. create an empty image(like `openstack image create --container-format
>> bare --disk-format qcow2 img_name`)
>> 2. and than import image  (like `glance image-import --import-method
>> web-download --uri
>> https://download.cirros-cloud.net/0.3.5/cirros-0.3.5-x86_64-disk.img `)
>> But that image stuck in queued after first step.
>> dose this scenario supported by glance? Or where did I do wrong?
>>

> That scenario should work, unless you are running glance under uwsgi, in
> which case the task engine (used to import the image) does not run.  You
> can tell that's the problem if as an admin user you use the command 'glance
> task-list'.  You should see a task of type 'api_image_import' with status
> 'pending'.  (You can do 'glance task-show <task_id>' to see the details of
> the task.)
>
> If you are using devstack, you can apply this patch before you call
> stack.sh: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/545483/  .  It will allow
> everything except Glance to run under uwsgi.
>

>>> [0]
>>> https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/image/v2/index.html#interoperable-image-import
>>> [1]