[openstack-dev] better name for placement

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 4 15:57:01 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-04 11:44:41 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Chris Dent's message of 2018-09-04 15:32:12 +0100:
[...]
> > I would hope we'd be able to do that, and probably should do that.
> > 'openstack-placement' seems a find pypi package name for a think
> > from which you do 'import placement' to do some openstack stuff,
> > yeah?
>
> That's still a pretty generic name for the top-level import, but I think
> the only real risk is that the placement service couldn't be installed
> at the same time as another package owned by someone else that used that
> top-level name. I'm not sure how much of a risk that really is.
[...]

Well, it goes further than just the local system. For example, if
there was another project unrelated to OpenStack which also had a
module named "placement" in the default import path, then Debian
wouldn't be able to carry packages for both projects without
modifying. At least one would need the module renamed or would need
to put it in a private path and then any consumers would need to be
adjusted to suit.
--
Jeremy Stanley