[openstack-dev] [tempest][CI][nova compute] Skipping non-compute-driver tests

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Tue Sep 4 13:34:33 UTC 2018

Folks-

	The other day, I posted an experimental patch [1] with an effectively
empty ComputeDriver (just enough to make n-cpu actually start) to see
how much of our CI would pass. The theory being that any tests that
still pass are tests that don't touch our compute driver, and are
therefore not useful to run in our CI environment. Because anything that
doesn't touch our code should already be well covered by generic
dsvm-tempest CIs. The results [2] show that 707 tests still pass.

	So I'm wondering whether there might be a way to mark tests as being
"compute driver-specific" such that we could switch off all the other
ones [3] via a one-line conf setting. Because surely this has potential
to save a lot of CI resource not just for us but for other driver
vendors, in tree and out.

Thanks,
efried

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/599066/
[2]
http://184.172.12.213/66/599066/5/check/nova-powervm-out-of-tree-pvm/a1b42d5/powervm_os_ci.html.gz
[3] I get that there's still value in running all those tests. But it
could be done like once every 10 or 50 or 100 runs instead of every time.