[openstack-dev] [Tripleo] Automating role generation

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 08:48:07 UTC 2018

On 4.9.2018 08:13, Janki Chhatbar wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking to automate role file generation in TripleO. The idea is
> basically for an operator to create a simple yaml file (operator.yaml, say)
> listing services that are needed and then TripleO to generate
> Controller.yaml enabling only those services that are mentioned.
>
> For example:
> operator.yaml
> services:
>      Glance
>      OpenDaylight
>      Neutron ovs agent

I'm not sure it's worth introducing a new file format as such, if the
purpose is essentially to expand e.g. "Glance" into
"OS::TripleO::Services::GlanceApi" and
"OS::TripleO::Services::GlanceRegistry"? It would be another layer of
indirection (additional mental work for the operator who wants to
understand how things work), while the layer doesn't make too much
difference in preparation of the role. At least that's my subjective view.

> Then TripleO should
> 1. Fail because ODL and OVS agent are either-or services

+1 i think having something like this would be useful.

> 2. After operator.yaml is modified to remove Neutron ovs agent, it should
> generate Controller.yaml with below content
>
> ServicesDefault:
> - OS::TripleO::Services::GlanceApi
> - OS::TripleO::Services::GlanceRegistry
> - OS::TripleO::Services::OpenDaylightApi
> - OS::TripleO::Services::OpenDaylightOvs
>
> Currently, operator has to manually edit the role file (specially when
> deployed with ODL) and I have seen many instances of failing deployment due
> to variations of OVS, OVN and ODL services enabled when they are actually
> exclusive.

Having validations on the service list would be helpful IMO, e.g. "these
services must not be in one deployment together", "these services must
not be in one role together", "these services must be together", "we
recommend this service to be in every role" (i'm thinking
TripleOPackages, Ntp, ...) etc. But as mentioned above, i think it would
be better if we worked directly with the "OS::TripleO::Services..."
values rather than a new layer of proxy-values.

Additional random related thoughts:

* Operator should still be able to disobey what the validation suggests,
if they decide so.

* Would be nice to have the info about particular services (e.g what
can't be together) specified declaratively somewhere (TripleO's favorite
thing in the world -- YAML?).

* We could start with just one type of validation, e.g. the mutual
exclusivity rule for ODL vs. OVS, but would be nice to have the solution
easily expandable for new rule types.

Thanks for looking into this :)

Jirka