[openstack-dev] [goal][python3] week 12 update

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Oct 31 18:43:56 UTC 2018

This is week 12 of the "Run under Python 3 by default" goal
(https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html).

Observant readers will notice that the last update email was during week
9. I've been out for a couple of weeks, but you've all been busy in that
time!

== What we learned last week ==

I'm still working on an upgrade script for heat to allow us to rename it
and publish releases.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/606160/

== Ongoing and Completed Work ==

We are very very close to finishing the phase of work that updates the
tox settings and documentation build jobs.

Those documentation updates should be relatively quick to review because
they're very minimal patches. Please take a few minutes to look for them
and let's try to get them merged before the first milestone. The tox
patches may require a bit more work to update pylint and the goal
champions could use your help there (see below).

+---------------------+--------------+---------+----------+---------+------------+-------+--------------------+
| Team                | tox defaults | Docs    | 3.6 unit | Failing | Unreviewed | Total | Champion           |
+---------------------+--------------+---------+----------+---------+------------+-------+--------------------+
| adjutant            |   1/  1      | -       | +        |       0 |          1 |     2 | Doug Hellmann      |
| barbican            | +            |   1/  3 | +        |       1 |          1 |     7 | Doug Hellmann      |
| blazar              | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     9 | Nguyen Hai         |
| Chef OpenStack      | +            | -       | -        |       0 |          0 |     2 | Doug Hellmann      |
| cinder              | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    11 | Doug Hellmann      |
| cloudkitty          | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     9 | Doug Hellmann      |
| congress            | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     9 | Nguyen Hai         |
| cyborg              | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     7 | Nguyen Hai         |
| designate           | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     9 | Nguyen Hai         |
| Documentation       | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    10 | Doug Hellmann      |
| dragonflow          | -            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     2 | Nguyen Hai         |
| ec2-api             |   2/  2      | +       | +        |       2 |          2 |     7 |                    |
| freezer             | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    11 |                    |
| glance              | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    10 | Nguyen Hai         |
| heat                |   3/  8      | +       |   1/  7  |       2 |          0 |    21 | Doug Hellmann      |
| horizon             | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    34 | Nguyen Hai         |
| I18n                | +            | -       | -        |       0 |          0 |     1 | Doug Hellmann      |
| InteropWG           |   3/  4      | +       |   1/  3  |       2 |          2 |    10 | Doug Hellmann      |
| ironic              |   1/ 10      | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    35 | Doug Hellmann      |
| karbor              | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     7 | Nguyen Hai         |
| keystone            | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    18 | Doug Hellmann      |
| kolla               | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     5 |                    |
| kuryr               | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     9 | Doug Hellmann      |
| magnum              |   2/  5      | +       | +        |       0 |          1 |    10 |                    |
| manila              | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    13 | Goutham Pacha Ravi |
| masakari            |   2/  5      | +       | -        |       0 |          2 |     6 | Nguyen Hai         |
| mistral             | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    13 | Nguyen Hai         |
| monasca             |   1/ 17      | +       | +        |       1 |          1 |    34 | Doug Hellmann      |
| murano              | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    14 |                    |
| neutron             |   7/ 19      |   1/ 14 |   1/ 13  |       6 |          3 |    46 | Doug Hellmann      |
| nova                | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    14 |                    |
| octavia             | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    12 | Nguyen Hai         |
| OpenStack Charms    |  36/ 73      | -       | -        |      36 |         15 |    73 | Doug Hellmann      |
| OpenStack-Helm      | +            | +       | -        |       0 |          0 |     4 |                    |
| OpenStackAnsible    | +            | +       | -        |       0 |          0 |   154 |                    |
| OpenStackClient     |   1/  4      | +       | +        |       0 |          1 |    11 |                    |
| OpenStackSDK        | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    10 |                    |
| oslo                | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    63 | Doug Hellmann      |
| Packaging-rpm       |   2/  3      | +       | +        |       0 |          1 |     7 | Doug Hellmann      |
| PowerVMStackers     | -            | -       | +        |       0 |          0 |     3 | Doug Hellmann      |
| Puppet OpenStack    | +            | +       | -        |       0 |          0 |    44 | Doug Hellmann      |
| qinling             | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     6 |                    |
| Quality Assurance   |   3/ 11      | +       | +        |       0 |          3 |    32 | Doug Hellmann      |
| rally               |   1/  3      | +       | -        |       1 |          1 |     5 | Nguyen Hai         |
| Release Management  | -            | -       | +        |       0 |          0 |     1 | Doug Hellmann      |
| requirements        | -            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     2 | Doug Hellmann      |
| sahara              |   1/  6      | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    13 | Doug Hellmann      |
| searchlight         | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     9 | Nguyen Hai         |
| senlin              | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     9 | Nguyen Hai         |
| SIGs                |   1/  8      | +       | +        |       0 |          1 |    11 | Doug Hellmann      |
| solum               | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     7 | Nguyen Hai         |
| storlets            | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     4 |                    |
| swift               |   2/  3      | +       | +        |       1 |          1 |     6 | Nguyen Hai         |
| tacker              |   1/  3      | +       | +        |       0 |          1 |     8 | Nguyen Hai         |
| Technical Committee |   1/  2      | -       | +        |       0 |          0 |     4 | Doug Hellmann      |
| Telemetry           |   1/  7      | +       | +        |       0 |          1 |    19 | Doug Hellmann      |
| tricircle           | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     5 | Nguyen Hai         |
| tripleo             |   6/ 55      | +       | +        |       3 |          1 |    93 | Doug Hellmann      |
| trove               |   1/  5      | +       | +        |       0 |          1 |    11 | Doug Hellmann      |
| User Committee      |   3/  3      | +       | -        |       0 |          2 |     5 | Doug Hellmann      |
| vitrage             | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     9 | Nguyen Hai         |
| watcher             | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |    10 | Nguyen Hai         |
| winstackers         | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     6 |                    |
| zaqar               |   1/  3      | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     8 |                    |
| zun                 | +            | +       | +        |       0 |          0 |     8 | Nguyen Hai         |
|                     |  37/ 61      |  56/ 58 |  53/ 56  |      55 |         42 |  1075 |                    |
+---------------------+--------------+---------+----------+---------+------------+-------+--------------------+

== Next Steps ==

Quite a few of the recent tox updates also exposed issues with using
pylint under python 3, mostly due to having an older version of the tool
pinned. This is a known issue, which was discussed in an earlier update
email. The fixes are usually pretty straightforward, and good
opportunities to contribute while you're waiting for tests to run or if
you're just starting to get into the community. The series of patches
preceding https://review.openstack.org/#/c/606676/ in the
openstack/neutron repository are examples of some of the sorts of
changes needed. If you're interested in helping to fix these sorts of
issues, please leave a comment on the patch that changes the tox
configuration so that we don't have multiple folks working on the same
failures.

We need to to approve the patches proposed by the goal champions, and
then to expand functional test coverage for python 3.

PTLs, please document your team's status in the wiki as well:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3

== How can you help? ==

1. Choose a patch that has failing tests and help fix
   it. https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:python3-first+status:open+(+label:Verified-1+OR+label:Verified-2+)
2. Review the patches for the zuul changes. Keep in mind that some of
   those patches will be on the stable branches for projects.  3. Work
   on adding functional test jobs that run under Python 3.

== How can you ask for help? ==

If you have any questions, please post them here to the openstack-dev
list with the topic tag [python3] in the subject line. Posting questions
to the mailing list will give the widest audience the chance to see the
answers.

We are using the #openstack-dev IRC channel for discussion as well, but
I'm not sure how good our timezone coverage is so it's probably better
to use the mailing list.

== Reference Material ==

Goal description: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html
Open patches needing reviews: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:python3-first+is:open