[openstack-dev] [Edge-computing] [tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko.vancsa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:20:38 UTC 2018

> On 2018. Oct 31., at 19:11, Mike Bayer <mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:57 AM Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobreli at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> (cross-posting openstack-dev)
>>
>> Hello.
>> [tl;dr] I'm looking for co-author(s) to come up with "Edge clouds data
>> consistency requirements and challenges" a position paper [0] (papers
>> submitting deadline is Nov 8).
>>
>> The problem scope is synchronizing control plane and/or
>> deployments-specific data (not necessary limited to OpenStack) across
>> remote Edges and central Edge and management site(s). Including the same
>> aspects for overclouds and undercloud(s), in terms of TripleO; and other
>> deployment tools of your choice.
>>
>> Another problem is to not go into different solutions for Edge
>> deployments management and control planes of edges. And for tenants as
>> well, if we think of tenants also doing Edge deployments based on Edge
>> Data Replication as a Service, say for Kubernetes/OpenShift on top of
>> OpenStack.
>>
>> So the paper should name the outstanding problems, define data
>> consistency requirements and pose possible solutions for synchronization
>> and conflicts resolving. Having maximum autonomy cases supported for
>> isolated sites, with a capability to eventually catch up its distributed
>> state. Like global database [1], or something different perhaps (see
>> causal-real-time consistency model [2],[3]), or even using git. And
>> probably more than that?.. (looking for ideas)
>

> I can offer detail on whatever aspects of the "shared  / global
> database" idea.  The way we're doing it with Galera for now is all
> about something simple and modestly effective for the moment, but it
> doesn't have any of the hallmarks of a long-term, canonical solution,
> because Galera is not well suited towards being present on many
> (dozens) of endpoints.     The concept that the StarlingX folks were
> talking about, that of independent databases that are synchronized
> using some kind of middleware is potentially more scalable, however I
> think the best approach would be API-level replication, that is, you
> have a bunch of Keystone services and there is a process that is
> regularly accessing the APIs of these keystone services and
> cross-publishing state amongst all of them.   Clearly the big
> challenge with that is how to resolve conflicts, I think the answer
> would lie in the fact that the data being replicated would be of
> limited scope and potentially consist of mostly or fully
> non-overlapping records.
>
> That is, I think "global database" is a cheap way to get what would be
> more effective as asynchronous state synchronization between identity
> services.

Recently we’ve been also exploring federation with an IdP (Identity Provider) master: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Keystone_edge_architectures#Identity_Provider_.28IdP.29_Master_with_shadow_users

One of the pros is that it removes the need for synchronization and potentially increases scalability.

Thanks,
Ildikó