[openstack-dev] Ironic integration CI jobs

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 12:44:14 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 10/31/18 1:36 AM, Julia Kreger wrote:
> With the discussion of CI jobs and the fact that I have been finding myself
> checking job status several times a day so early in the cycle, I think it is
> time for ironic to revisit many of our CI jobs.
>
> The bottom line is ironic is very resource intensive to test. A lot of that is
> because of the underlying way we enroll/manage nodes and then execute the
> integration scenarios emulating bare metal. I think we can improve that with
> some ansible.
>
> In the mean time I created a quick chart[1] to try and make sense out overall
> integration coverage and I think it makes sense to remove three of the jobs.
>
> ironic-tempest-dsvm-ipa-wholedisk-agent_ipmitool-tinyipa-multinode - This job is
> essentially the same as our grenade mutlinode job, the only difference being
> grenade.

Nope, not the same. Grenade jobs run only smoke tests, this job runs
https://github.com/openstack/ironic-tempest-plugin/blob/master/ironic_tempest_plugin/tests/scenario/test_baremetal_multitenancy.py

> ironic-tempest-dsvm-ipa-wholedisk-bios-agent_ipmitool-tinyipa - This job
> essentially just duplicates the functionality already covered in other jobs,
> including the grenade job.

Ditto, grenade jobs do not cover our tests at all. Also this is the very job we
run on other projects (nova, neutron, maybe more), so it will be a bit painful
to remove it.

> ironic-tempest-dsvm-bfv - This presently non-voting job validates that the iPXE
> mode of the 'pxe' boot interface supports boot from volume. It was superseded by
> ironic-tempest-dsvm-ipxe-bfv which focuses on the use of the 'ipxe' boot
> interface. The underlying code is all the same deep down in all of the helper
> methods.

+1 to this.

Dmitry