[openstack-dev] Proposal for a process to keep up with Python releases

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Oct 30 16:49:08 UTC 2018

On 10/26/18 7:11 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 26/10/18 5:09 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>>
>>> It depends on which versions we choose to support, but if necessary yes.
>>
>> If what we want is to have early detection of problems with latest
>> versions of Python, then there's not so many alternatives.
>
> I think a lot depends on the relative timing of the Python release, the
> various distro release cycles, and the OpenStack release cycle. We
> established that for 3.7 that's the only way we could have done it in
> Rocky; for 3.8, who knows.

No need for a crystal ball...

Python 3.8 is scheduled to be released in summer 2019. As Buster is to
be frozen early the same year, it should be out before it. So, there's a
lot of chance that Python 3.8 will be in Debian Sid/Bullseye before
anywhere else again, probably just after the release of the OpenStack T
release, meaning it most likely will be broken again in Debian Sid.

> I agree that bugs with future versions of Python are always worth fixing
> ASAP, whether or not we are able to test them in the gate.

:)