[openstack-dev] Proposal for a process to keep up with Python releases

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Oct 26 09:09:00 UTC 2018

On 10/22/18 9:12 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 22/10/18 10:33 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> This can only happen if we have supporting distribution packages for it.
>> IMO, this is a call for using Debian Testing or even Sid in the gate.
>
> It depends on which versions we choose to support, but if necessary yes.

If what we want is to have early detection of problems with latest
versions of Python, then there's not so many alternatives.

I don't really understand why you're writing that it "depends on which
version we choose to support". That's the kind of answer which I found
very frustrating when I submit a bug, and I'm being replied "we don't
support this version". My reasoning is, the earlier we detect and fix
problems, the better, and that's orthogonal to to what version of Python
we want to support. Delaying bugfix and latest Python version compat
leads to nowhere, and best is to test with it if possible (even in a
non-voting mode).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)