[openstack-dev] [barbican][tc] Seeking feedback on the OpenStack cloud vision

Dave McCowan (dmccowan) dmccowan at cisco.com
Thu Oct 25 12:46:44 UTC 2018

Hello Zane--
   Yes, this vision is consistent with the Barbican team's vision.

   Barbican provides an abstraction layer over HSMs and other secret
storage services.  We have a plugin architecture to enable this
abstraction over a variety of backends.  Vault is a recent addition to our
supported options.  Barbican uses Keystone for authentication and
oslo.policy for RBAC, which allows for multi-tenancy and makes secret
storage consistent with other OpenStack services.

   The topic of cross-project dependencies is one we've been wrestling
with for a while.  At the Pike PTG[1], we had discussions with the
Architecture Working Group on how to address this.  We concluded that the
cross-project requirement should not be on Barbican, but on a "Castellan
compatible secret store".  At the time, Barbican was the only choice, but
we wanted to encourage new development.

  We shifted ownership of Castellan (a python key manager abstraction
layer) from the Barbican team to the Oslo team.  The idea was that people
would write Castellan plugins for key managers other than Barbican.  Later
that year, a Castellan plugin for Vault was contributed.[2]  At this time,
the direct-to-vault plugin does not use Keystone for authentication or
oslo.policy for RBAC.  Users can configure the Barbican-to-Vault
architecture if they need to meet those requirements.

tl;dr: This vision looks good.  The Castellan and Barbican software
provides abstraction for either the key storage or the key manager, so the
cross project dependency can be "a key manager", instead of specifically
Barbican.

--Dave

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/barbican-pike-ptg-barbican-discussion
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/483080/