[openstack-dev] [nova][limits] Does ANYONE at all use the quota class functionality in Nova?

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 06:14:40 UTC 2018

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 14:12:51 +0900, ボーアディネシュ[bhor Dinesh] wrote:
> We were having a similar use case like *Preemptible Instances* called as
> *Rich-VM’s* which
>
> are high in resources and are deployed each per hypervisor. We have a
> custom code in
>
> production which tracks the quota for such instances separately and for
> the same reason
>
> we have *rich_instances* custom quota class same as *instances* quota class.

Please see the last reply I recently sent on this thread. I have been
thinking the same as you about how we could use quota classes to
implement the quota piece of preemptible instances. I think we can
achieve the same thing using unified limits, specifically registered
limits [1], which span across all projects. So, I think we are covered
moving forward with migrating to unified limits and deprecation of quota
classes. Let me know if you spot any issues with this idea.

Cheers,
-melanie

[1]
https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/identity/v3/?expanded=create-registered-limits-detail,create-limits-detail#create-registered-limits