[openstack-dev] [Octavia] [Kolla] SSL errors polling amphorae and missing tenant network interface

Tobias Urdin tobias.urdin at binero.se
Tue Oct 23 14:19:58 UTC 2018

Hello Erik,

Could you specify the DNs you used for all certificates just so that I
can rule it out on my side.
You can redact anything sensitive with some to just get the feel on how
it's configured.

Best regards
Tobias

On 10/22/2018 04:47 PM, Erik McCormick wrote:
> [...]
>> with some modifications.
>>
>> Right now I'm just getting: Could not connect to instance. Retrying.:
>> SSLError: [SSL: BAD_SIGNATURE] bad signature (_ssl.c:579)
>> from the amphoras, haven't got any further but I've eliminated a lot of
>> stuck in the middle.
>>
>> Tried deploying Ocatavia on Ubuntu with python3 to just make sure there
>> wasn't an issue with CentOS and OpenSSL versions since it tends to lag
>> behind.
>> Checking the amphora with openssl s_client [3] it gives the same one,
>> but the verification is successful just that I don't understand what the
>> bad signature
>> part is about, from browsing some OpenSSL code it seems to be related to
>> RSA signatures somehow.
>>
>> 140038729774992:error:1408D07B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_key_exchange:bad
>> signature:s3_clnt.c:2032:
>>
>> So I've basicly ruled out Ubuntu (openssl-1.1.0g) and CentOS
>> (openssl-1.0.2k) being the problem, ruled out signing_digest, so I'm
>> back to something related
>> to the certificates or the communication between the endpoints, or what
>> actually responds inside the amphora (gunicorn IIUC?). Based on the
>> "verify" functions actually causing that bad signature error I would
>> assume it's the generated certificate that the amphora presents that is
>> causing it.
>>
>> I'll have to continue the troubleshooting to the inside of the amphora,
>> I've used the test-only amphora image before but have now built my own
>> one that is
>> using the amphora-agent from the actual stable branch, but same issue
>> (bad signature).
>>
>> For verbosity this is the config options set for the certificates in
>> octavia.conf and which file it was copied from [4], same here, a
>> replication of what openstack-ansible does.
>>
>> Appreciate any feedback or help :)
>>
>> Best regards
>> Tobias
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/openstack/octavia/blob/master/bin/create_certificates.sh
>> [2] http://paste.openstack.org/show/732483/
>> [3] http://paste.openstack.org/show/732486/
>> [4] http://paste.openstack.org/show/732487/
>>
>> On 10/20/2018 01:53 AM, Michael Johnson wrote:
>>> Hi Erik,
>>>
>>> Sorry to hear you are still having certificate issues.
>>>
>>> Issue #2 is probably caused by issue #1. Since we hot-plug the tenant
>>> network for the VIP, one of the first steps after the worker connects
>>> to the amphora agent is finishing the required configuration of the
>>> VIP interface inside the network namespace on the amphroa.
>>>
> Thanks for the hint on the workflow of this. I hadn't gotten deep
> enough into the code to find that yet, but I suspected it was blocking
> since the namespace never got created either. Thanks
>
>>> If I remember correctly, you are attempting to configure Octavia with
>>> the dual CA option (which is good for non-development use).

>>> ca_certificate = server CA's "server.pem" file
>>> ca_private_key = server CA's "server.key" file