[openstack-dev] [kolla] add service discovery, proxysql, vault, fabio and FQDN endpoints

Piotr Misiak piotrmisiak1984 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 20:15:45 UTC 2018

On 19.10.2018 10:21, Florian Engelmann wrote:

>>> So leaf1 2 and 3 have to share the same L2 domain, right (in IPv4
>>> network)?
>>>
>> Yes, they share L2 domain but we have ARP and ND suppression enabled.
>>
>> It is an EVPN network where there is a L3 with VxLANs between leafs
>> and spines.
>>
>> So we don't care where a server is connected. It can be connected to
>> any leaf.
>
> Ok that sounds very interesting. Is it possible to share some
> internals? Which switch vendor/model do you use? How does you IP
> address schema look like?
> If VxLAN is used between spine and leafs are you using VxLAN
> networking for Openstack as well? Where is your VTEP?

We have Mellanox switches with Cumulus Linux installed. Here you have a
documentation:
https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/Ethernet+Virtual+Private+Network+-+EVPN

EVPN is a well known standard and it is also supported by Juniper, Cisco
etc.

We have standard VLANs between servers and leaf switches, they are
mapped to VxLANs between leafs and spines. In our env every leaf switch
is a VTEP. Servers have MLAG/CLAG connections to two leaf switches. We
also have anycast gateways on leaf switches. From servers point of view
our network is like a very big switch with hundreds of ports and
standard VLANs.

We are using VxLAN networking for OpenStack, but it is configured on top
of network VxLANs, we dont mix them.