[openstack-dev] [TripleO] easily identifying how services are configured

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 17:04:10 UTC 2018

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:53 AM James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 11:14 AM Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Additionally I took a stab at combining the puppet/docker service
> > definitions for the aodh services in a similar structure to start
> > reducing the overhead we've had from maintaining the docker/puppet
> > implementations seperately.  You can see the patch
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611188/ for an additional example of
> > this.
>
> That patch takes the approach of removing baremetal support. Is that
> what we agreed to do?

Since it's deprecated since Queens[0], yes? I think it is time to stop
continuing this method of installation.  Given that I'm not even sure
the upgrade process even works anymore with baremetal, I don't think
there's a reason to keep it as it directly impacts the time it takes
to perform deployments and also contributes to increased complexity
all around.

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-September/122248.html

> I'm not specifically opposed, as I'm pretty sure the baremetal
> implementations are no longer tested anywhere, but I know that Dan had
> some concerns about that last time around.
>
> The alternative we discussed was using jinja2 to include common
> data/tasks in both the puppet/docker/ansible implementations. That
> would also result in reducing the number of Heat resources in these
> stacks and hopefully reduce the amount of time it takes to
> create/update the ServiceChain stacks.

I'd rather we officially get rid of the one of the two methods and
converge on a single method without increasing the complexity via
jinja to continue to support both. If there's an improvement to be had
after we've converged on a single structure for including the base
bits, maybe we could do that then?

Thanks,
-Alex