[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [goals][upgrade-checkers] Week R-26 Update

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 14:39:57 UTC 2018

Top posting just to try and summarize my thought that for the goal in
Stein, I think we should focus on getting the base framework in place
for each service project, along with any non-config (including policy)
specific upgrade checks that make sense for each project.

As Ben mentioned, there are existing tools for validating config (I know
BlueBox used to use the fatal_deprecations config in their CI/CD
pipeline to know when they needed to change their deploy scripts because
deploying new code from pre-prod would fail). Once we get the basics
covered we can work, as a community, to figure out how best to integrate
config validation into upgrade checks, because I don't really think we
want to have upgrade checks that dump warnings for all deprecated
options in addition to what is already provided by oslo.config/log. I
have a feeling that would get so noisy that no one would ever pay
attention to it. I'm mostly interested in the scenario that config is
removed from code but still being set in the config file which could
fail an upgrade on service restart (if an alias was removed for
example), but I also tend to think those types of issues are case-by-case.

On 10/15/2018 3:29 PM, Ben Nemec wrote:

> On 10/15/18 3:27 AM, Jean-Philippe Evrard wrote:
>> On Fri, 2018-10-12 at 17:05 -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>>> The big update this week is version 0.1.0 of oslo.upgradecheck was
>>> released. The documentation along with usage examples can be found
>>> here
>>> [1]. A big thanks to Ben Nemec for getting that done since a few
>>> projects were waiting for it.
>>>
>>> In other updates, some changes were proposed in other projects [2].
>>>
>>> And finally, Lance Bragstad and I had a discussion this week [3]
>>> about
>>> the validity of upgrade checks looking for deleted configuration
>>> options. The main scenario I'm thinking about here is FFU where
>>> someone
>>> is going from Mitaka to Pike. Let's say a config option was
>>> deprecated
>>> in Newton and then removed in Ocata. As the operator is rolling
>>> through
>>> from Mitaka to Pike, they might have missed the deprecation signal

Matt