[openstack-dev] [FEMDC] [Edge] [tripleo] On the use of terms "Edge" and "Far Edge"

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 14:23:17 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Sorry for chiming in really late in this topic, but I think $subj is worth
discussing until we settle harder on the potentially confusing terminology.

I think the difference between "Edge" and "Far Edge" is too vague to use these
terms in practice. Think about the "edge" metaphor itself: something rarely has
several layers of edges. A knife has an edge, there are no far edges. I imagine
zooming in and seeing more edges at the edge, and then it's quite cool indeed,
but is it really a useful metaphor for those who never used a strong microscope? :)

I think in the trivial sense "Far Edge" is a tautology, and should be avoided.
As a weak proof of my words, I already see a lot of smart people confusing these
two and actually use Central/Edge where they mean Edge/Far Edge. I suggest we
adopt a different terminology, even if it less consistent with typical marketing
term around the "Edge" movement.

Now, I don't have really great suggestions. Something that came up in TripleO
discussions [1] is Core/Hub/Edge, which I think reflects the idea better.

I'd be very interested to hear your ideas.

Dmitry

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-edge-mvp