[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ui][tempest][oooq] Refreshing plugins from git

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 12:45:08 UTC 2018

On 10/18/18 2:17 AM, Honza Pokorny wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm working on the automated ui testing blueprint[1], and I think we
> need to change the way we ship our tempest tests.
>
> Here is where things stand at the moment:
>
> * We have a kolla image for tempest
> * This image contains the tempest rpm, and the openstack-tempest-all rpm
> * The openstack-tempest-all package in turn contains all of the
>    openstack tempest plugins
> * Each of the plugins is shipped as an rpm
>
> So, in order for a new test in tempest-tripleo-ui to appear in CI we
> have to go through at least the following tests:
>
> * New tempest-tripleo-ui rpm
> * New openstack-tempest-all rpm
> * New tempest kolla image
>
> This could easily take a week, if not more.
>
> What I would like to build is something like the following:
>
> * Add an option to the tempest-setup.sh script in tripleo-quickstart to
>    refresh all tempest plugins from git before running any tests
> * Optionally specify a zuul change for any of the plugins being
>    refreshed
> * Hook up the test job to patches in tripleo-ui (which tests in
>    tempest-tripleo-ui are testing) so that I can run a fix and its test
>    in a single CI job
>
> This would allow the tripleo-ui team to develop code and tests at the
> same time, and prevent breakage before a patch is even merged.
>
> Here are a few questions:
>
> * Do you think this is a good idea?

This reminds the update_containers case, but relaxed the next level of
updating from sources instead of rpm. Given that we already have that
update_containers thing, the idea seems acceptable for CI use only.
Although I'd prefer to see the packages and the tempest container (and
all that update_containers affects) rebuilt in the same CI job run instead.

Though I'm not sure for having different paths for "new test in
tempest-tripleo-ui" getting into container: executed in CI vs executed
via TripleO UI? I think the path it takes should always be the same. But
please excuse me if I got the case wrong.

[0] https://goo.gl/5bCWRX

> * Could we accomplish this by some other, simple mechanism?
>
> Any helpful suggestions, corrections, and feedback are much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Honza Pokorny
>
> [1]: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/automated-ui-testing

Best regards,