[openstack-dev] [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Oct 16 00:00:31 UTC 2018

On 10/15/2018 06:39 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:

> In fact, as far as we know the version we have to support in CentOS may
> actually be 3.5, which seems like a good reason to keep it working for
> long enough that we can find out for sure one way or the other.

I certainly hope this is not what ends up happening, but seeing as how I
actually do not know - I agree, I cannot discount the possibility that
such a thing would happen.

That said - until such a time as we get to actually drop python2, I
don't see it as an actual issue. The reason being - if we test with 2.7
and 3.7 - the things in 3.6 that would break 3.5 get gated by the
existence of 2.7 for our codebase.

Case in point- the instant 3.6 is our min, I'm going to start replacing
every instance of:

   "foo {bar}".format(bar=bar)

in any code I spend time in with:

   f"foo {bar}"

It TOTALLY won't parse on 3.5 ... but it also won't parse on 2.7.

If we decide as a community to shift our testing of python3 to be 3.6 -
or even 3.7 - as long as we still are testing 2.7, I'd argue we're
adequately covered for 3.5.

The day we decide we can drop 2.7 - if we've been testing 3.7 for
python3 and it turns out RHEL/CentOS 8 ship with python 3.5, then
instead of just deleting all of the openstack-tox-py27 jobs, we'd
probably just need to replace them with openstack-tox-py35 jobs, as that
would be our new low-water mark.

Now, maybe we'll get lucky and RHEL/CentOS 8 will be a future-looking
release and will ship with python 3.7 AND so will the corresponding
Ubuntu LTS - and we'll get to only care about one release of python for
a minute. :)

Come on - I can dream, right?

Monty