[openstack-dev] [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Oct 15 20:10:48 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-15 15:00:07 -0400 (-0400), Zane Bitter wrote:
[...]
> That said, I don't think we should be dropping support/testing for 3.5.
> According to:
>
>   https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/pti/python.html
>
> 3.5 is the only Python3 version that we require all projects to run tests
> for.

Until we update it to refer to the version provided by the test
platforms we document at:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/project-testing-interface.html#linux-distributions

> Out goal is to get everyone running 3.6 unit tests by the end of Stein:
>
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html#python-3-6-unit-test-jobs
>
> but we explicitly said there that we were not dropping support for 3.5 as
> part of the goal, and should continue to do so until we can effect an
> orderly transition later.
[...]

We're not dropping support for 3.5 as part of the python3-first
goal, but would be dropping it as part of the switch from Ubuntu
16.04 LTS (which provides Python 3.5) to 18.04 LTS (which provides
Python 3.6). In the past the OpenStack Infra team has prodded us to
follow our documented testing platform policies as new versions
become available, but now with a move to providing infrastructure
services to other OSF projects as well we're on our own to police
this.

We _could_ decide that we're going to start running tests on
multiple versions of Python 3 indefinitely (rather than as a
transitional state during the switch from Ubuntu Xenial to Bionic)
but that does necessarily mean running more jobs. We could also
decide to start targeting different versions of Python than provided
by the distros on which we run our tests (and build it from source
ourselves or something) but I think that's only reasonable if we're
going to also recommend that users deploy OpenStack on top of
custom-compiled Python interpreters rather than the interpreters
provided by server distros like RHEL and Ubuntu.

So to sum up the above, it's less a question of whether we're
dropping Python 3.5 testing in Stein, and more a question of whether
we're going to continue requiring OpenStack to also be able to run
on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (which wasn't the latest LTS even at the start
of the cycle).
--
Jeremy Stanley