[openstack-dev] [ptl][release] Proposed changes for cycle-with-milestones deliverables

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Mon Oct 15 13:39:57 UTC 2018

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 11:44:11AM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com> writes:
>
> > [snip]
> >
> > One of the big motivators in the past was also to have output that downstream
> > distros and users could pick up for testing and early packaging. Based on our
> > admittedly anecdotal small sample, it doesn't appear this is actually a big
> > need, so we propose to stop tagging milestone releases for the
> > cycle-with-milestone projects.
>
> One of the issues that was raised from downstream consumers [1] is that
> this complicates upgrade testing using packages, since tools like yum
> will think that the stable branch (with a final version tag) has a
> higher version number than master (with a dev version computed off of
> the first release candidate where the stable branch was created).
>
> [snip]
>
> We need all projects to increment their version at least by one minor
> version at the start of each cycle to save space for patch releases on
> the stable branch, so we looked at a few options for triggering that
> update automatically.
>
> [snip]
>
> A similarly low impact solution is to use pbr's Sem-Ver calculation
> feature and inject patches into master to bump the version being
> computed by 1 feature level (which should move from x.y.z.0rc1 to
> somethinglike x.y+1.0.devN). See [2] for details about how this works.
>
> This is the approach I prefer, and I have a patch to the branching
> scripts to add the Sem-Ver instruction to the patches we already
> generate to update reno [3].
>
> That change should take care of our transition from Stein->T, but we're
> left with versions in Stein that are lower than Rocky right now. So, as
> a one time operation, Sean is going to propose empty patches with the
> Sem-Ver instruction in the commit message to all of the repositories for
> Stein deliverables that have stable/rocky branches.

The patch to automatically propose the sem-ver flag on branching stable/* has
landed and I have tested it out with our release-test repo. This seems to work
well and is a much lower impact than other options we had considered.

I have a set of patches queued up to now do this one-time manual step for the
rocky to stein transition.

**Please watch for these "empty" patches from me and get them through quickly
if they look OK to you.**

I have checked the list of repos to make sure none of them have done any sort
off milestone release yet for stein. If you are aware of any that I have
missed, please let me know.

There is a strong warning with using this PBR feature that it is not obvious
that having this metadata tag in the commit has this effect on a repo and it is
very, very disruptive to try to undo its use. So please do not copy, backport,
or do anything else with any of the commits that contain this flag.

Any questions at all, please ask here or in the #openstack-release channel.

Sean